A writing class from an online school
It was for 6th graders and covered almost everything. (And the teacher was one of Mom's old students and a friend of one of our friends from church. It was kinda funny because she said that the only thing from Mom's class she remembered was The Rite of Spring.) The class was really fun and it helped a lot.
![]() |
| What happens to most books. |
NaNoWriMo
NaNo is for writing a 50,000 word novel in a month. Ruth told me about it so I signed up on the adult program (for ages 13 and up) and the Young Writer's Program (for ages under 18). I wasn't technically old enough for the adult NaNo, but signed up anyway. (I was twelve. Apparently lots of twelve year olds have done that. Haha.)
It got me to write regularly (every day) for a month, and it kinda stuck after that. And it made me a lot faster with thinking and typing. And it has really good, free workbooks on novelling.
![]() |
| Everybody's reaction. |
Script Frenzy
Script Frenzy's Young Writer's Program has workbooks, too. They're almost exactly like the novelling workbooks except for scripts. I'm not very good at scripts and don't like them as much, but tough it up and do Script Frenzy every year for practice on the basis that it might come in handy sometime. I only write scripts at random times, but it's still helped a lot.
| I'm with the jet-pack guy. |
One Year Adventure Novel
OYAN teaches high school kids to write adventure novels, but can be used for any kind of novel. I use it for fantasy (which is a kind of adventure, but not strictly adventure because it takes place in another world; I'm not sure how that works for urban or paranormal fantasy, but I don't write either of those so don't worry about it too much). It doesn't use many novels to teach with, and when it does, there are questions like, "How does [insert character's name here] make his deciding moment? How is it unexpected?" which are really good questions.
They also have a curriculum for science fiction and fantasy (Other Worlds). It uses what OYAN taught and then teaches more. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds really good and helpful.
Writing Magic by Gail Carson Levine
This is the first writing book I ever remember reading. It really helped to get me to write. Mrs. Levine also has a blog, which I read and is like the book except with more information. (The comments section is really helpful, too, because the readers talk about the post and problems they have.) My copy of her book is all marked up, taped up, and basically falling apart.
![]() |
| If he was writing a novel, that'd be awesome. |
Worldplay
This is a writing blog which mostly talks about writing techniques and writing life--stuff like saving on taxes by keeping a list of how many packs of pens I go through in a year or how to get people to leave me alone so I can write, neither of which I've ever needed to use, but it's helpful to know in case I need to sometime.
![]() |
| Yep. |
Author Culture
This is the same idea as Wordplay. (They also have posts on Friday where they talk about something funny relating to words or writing or writers. I like these two the best so far.) They have more writers making posts on more topics, though.
| It's helpful to know grammar. |






No comments:
Post a Comment