Monday, July 8, 2013

Etsy Shop

Everything in the Etsy shop I either knit or sew all by myself. I make quilts, doll blankets, headbands, scarves, cat toys shaped like whales, and dishcloths right now, but am going to add more things soon. The point of the shop is to earn money for college. (Right now, I'm still spending all of my allowance every month of getting supplies to make stuff, but it might start earning money sometime.)

I use almost every part of the supplies I get. Extra yarn from dishcloths are turned into headbands and whale cat toys. Left-over yarn from scarves are turned into fringe for the scarf or yarn markers. Scraps of fabric that from quilts and doll blankets are used to make more quilts. Batting scraps are harder to use again because I have to sew the edges together and that leaves a big, clunky seam. Quilts, dishcloths, headbands, and whale cat toys are all made from cotton fabric or yarn. The cat toys are stuffed with polyfill and the quilt batting is polyester. Scarves are made from whatever yarn I like and can afford.

Doll blankets take the least amount of time to make (about forty-five minutes). The things that take the next-shortest amount of time to make are the headbands and cat toys. They take anywhere from 1-5 hours to knit. Dishcloths take about five hours to knit (15 hours for a set). Scarves come next and can take up to 50 hours to knit, depending on how hard the pattern is, how thick the yarn is, and how long I'm making them. Quilts vary. A machine quilted quilt normally takes about 100 hours to make, including washing, drying, and ironing the fabric before beginning then washing and drying the quilt after making. A handquilted quilt takes more like 300 to 500 hours to make, depending on how much quilting there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment