Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer School

I'm doing most of my school this summer in July. I'm doing marine biology, geography, Latin, Greek, math, and Classical Mythology. Most of the time, I'm going to do school on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Math might over-lap sometimes. And I'm doing everything except math of my own accord. Mom would have me do the subjects anyway, so I might as well do them now.

Marine biology--Apologia's textbook. It's the last science credit I need in high school, so I'm getting it over with. (Science is better than math, but is still not as good as other stuff.) I'm doing most of the labs, all of the study guides, and the On Your Own Questions. There are 16 modules and I'm doing one module every day three days a week.
Geography--a Bob Jones University textbook. I'm ok on finding most countries (Africa is hard), but don't know much other than that. And I can already read a road map. But, I'm reading the textbook again (I read it a long time ago) and doing the review questions. There are 25 chapters and I'm doing two chapters every day.
Latin--Lingua Latina. Dad uses this book whenever he teaches Latin. We have somewhere around five copies floating around. (They're the old orange ones that have been replaced with brown. Shucks.) All of the books I have belonged to Lizzie and they have helpful notes written in the margins. I don't know how far we'll go this summer.
Greek--the Machen book. I'm re-reading it and practicing identifying words. There are 34 chapters and I'm doing two chapters every day.
math--Math-U-See with Justin. I do whatever Justin tells me to do in this.
Classical Mythology--lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver. I found them on sale from the Teaching Company and Dad had ten bonus bucks (or whatever the Teaching Company calls them). They costed about 25 dollars, which is really, really good for Teaching Company lectures. (Normally, they're somewhere in the hundreds.) I'm writing papers on Theogony, Hymn to Demeter, Roman myths and fables, the Eleusinian Mysteries, Ovid, and the Trojan War. I'm doing one paper a day, which I know I can do because I did it when I took Paideia and ProGymn at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment